Photography and cinematography is an art that has evolved over the last few years. Among the main components in this industry is basically lighting. This will determine the quality of the last output which makes the main concern. For that reason, it will be important to understand the light needed for a photo session. To accurately do that, one recommended tool by experts will be the light meter.
Light meters are programmed to accurately measure the light around a subject for the best output. In this article, we have listed the top 10 best light meters which will be fit for the job. We understand that the market is currently flooded with these accessories. It might, therefore, be a daunting task especially for first-timers. Before getting to the reviews, have a look at the brief guide below.
List of Best Light Meters in 2020
- List of Best Light Meters in 2020
- #10. HOLDPEAK 881D Digital Light Meter with 270 ° Rotate Sensor Head
- #9. LANTEX Light Meter – Calibration Certificate Included
- #8. Hti-Xintai Light Meter with LCD Display (One Battery Included)
- #7. Kenko KFM-1100 Automatic Digi Meter for Flash & Ambient Light
- #6. BTMETER BT-881D Light Meter with 270º Rotated Sensor
- #5. Sekonic L-308X-U Light Meter (401-305)
- #4. Extech LT300 Light Meter
- #3. URCERI Light Meter with a range of up to 200,000 Lux
- #2. Leaton Digital Luxmeter with LCD Display
- #1. Fluke 941 Illuminance Meter Tester
- Light Meters Buying Guide
#10. HOLDPEAK 881D Digital Light Meter with 270 ° Rotate Sensor Head
On the tenth ranks according to this review is this machine which is known to have a wide measuring range. It is made in a versatile design that allows it to be used in school, offices and other places where light is essentially needed.
Accuracy will also be guaranteed for this light meter not forgetting that it has a detector that rotates in 270 degrees. In this package, you will find a carrying case, a manual and a screwdriver. Apart from that, the light meter has a warranty of one year.
- It has a wide measuring range
- 270 degrees rotatable detector
- This light meter is highly accurate
- The manufacturer has provided a warranty of one year on this product
#9. LANTEX Light Meter – Calibration Certificate Included
Next on the list is this light meter which is amazingly compact in nature. It will actually fit in the pocket which gives you the convenience of carrying it everywhere. Other than its compact nature, you will appreciate that it is very intuitive and easy to use.
The versatility of this device allows it to be used in the warehouses, restaurants, offices and even art galleries just to name a few. If you are looking to get the best accuracy, this will be the ideal product. The light meter accompanies a calibration certificate.
- It uses LED white light as a measuring light source
- The light meter has a versatile design
- It comes with a calibration certificate
- This light meter is very easy to use
#8. Hti-Xintai Light Meter with LCD Display (One Battery Included)
This is yet another great option for people looking for a device that can be carried in the pocket. Among other features is the device is very accurate and has a wide measuring range. You will enjoy taking readings for this device even at low-light conditions. This is because it is made with a backlight LCD display.
To ensure that this device retains power over a long time, this light meter comes with an automatic shut off feature. In this package also, you will find a 9V battery and an instruction manual whenever you need to troubleshoot it.
- High accuracy and measuring range
- It comes with backlight LCD display
- Lightweight and compact design for portability purposes
- Comes with a comprehensible user manual
#7. Kenko KFM-1100 Automatic Digi Meter for Flash & Ambient Light
This is a flash meter that has been made for those people who hate complicated procedures. Another great feature that makes the device stand out is its level of accuracy. Its compact design, on the other hand, will let you enjoy the convenience of carrying it everywhere you go.
The manufacturer made this light meter with a good LCD display so that you can easily take the readings. As a bonus, the flash and ambient lighting will be easily analyzed to determine lighting ratio for every scene.
- The device is very easy to use
- It has an analyze function for proper light mixing
- Offers the convenience of cord or cordless operation
- The device is accurate and completely featured
#6. BTMETER BT-881D Light Meter with 270º Rotated Sensor
Among the popular aspects of this light meter is its level of accuracy. You will also appreciate its rapid response since it will give feedback in as little as 0.4 seconds. If you are therefore looking to instantly measure the amount of lights you are getting, this will be the goto product.
Another convenient feature of this device is the fact that it has a wide measuring range. With a resolution of 0.01, this device stands out from its competitors. The manufacturer also made this device with friendly controls to make sure that you have a good experience with the light meter.
- The light meter is highly accurate
- This device will give a response in as short as 0.4 seconds
- It has a wide measuring range
- The device easily memorizes the light readings
#5. Sekonic L-308X-U Light Meter (401-305)
This is the lightest and the smallest light meter that has been launched so far. Its pocket-sized design allows it to be carried everywhere that you go. You will also appreciate the fact that it has different modes which make it ideal for so many applications.
Other than its versatility, it has been rated as the most user-friendly light meter in the market as at now. This unit also holds a legacy of accuracy the same way as its predecessors. It is made by experts to measure flash and ambient lighting for convenience.
- It is made to be used with the cinema-grade cameras
- Perfect for recording the exposure readings or control the light using shutter speeds
- The device has a very good response time
- Made to deliver its ease of use to the user
#4. Extech LT300 Light Meter
On the fourth spot according to our team of experts is the Extech light meter which prides itself on a quality design. The manufacturers are aware of the changing times and this is why it comes with effective features. For instance, it is equipped with a large LCD display for easy reading.
You will also appreciate using this light meter even at night since it comes with a backlight feature. There are two main modes that the light meter uses namely peak and relative modes. It also features a light sensor cable that can actually expand all the way to 24 inches.
- It has a backlight feature to take readings in areas with low light
- The light meter uses a precision photo diode
- Features a large LCD display with an analog bar graph
- Relative and peak modes
#3. URCERI Light Meter with a range of up to 200,000 Lux
This is another reputable brand in the lighting equipment industry. For the past years, this brand has offered its customers the best lighting equipment. The outstanding functions of this light meter together with its excellent build makes it good over its competitors.
This is a handheld unit that will allow you to carry it everywhere you wish. To add to that, the device is made by experienced experts to light up an area in the best way possible. The meter has a large LCD screen with four digital colors for easy viewing.
- It will measure luminosity up to 200,000 Lux
- This device is highly accurate
- Lightweight and compact design
- It has a wide range of applications
#2. Leaton Digital Luxmeter with LCD Display
On the second spot according to our team of experts is the Leaton light meter. It has a wonderful range and has been made in a small size for portability purposes. If you are looking to get a quality light meter at an affordable budget, this is your right pick. What’s more, it produces more power compared to the sun.
This is a compact unit but does so many things. It has a hold function to retain the current reading place for instance. You will also appreciate that it has an automatic range detection to detect the normalcy of the ambient light. What’s more, it has a low-battery indicator.
- It uses a 9V battery which is not included in the package
- The device can detect low battery
- It is accurate all the way to 200,000 Lux
- Lightweight and compact design
#1. Fluke 941 Illuminance Meter Tester
Finally on this review is this light meter which has a wide range. The reason why you will want to get this light meter is that it has an unbeatable accuracy. This, therefore, tells you that you will be happy with the final output. You should not hesitate to buy this device despite being new in the market.
Another convenient feature of this device is that it has an automatic and also manual range selection. What’s more, it has an automatic shutdown feature which allows it to save battery power. For portability purposes too, it comes at a compact and light weight.
- Employs both manual and automatic range selection
- Lightweight and compact design for easy transportation
- Comes with an automatic shutdown feature
- It has a battery life of around 200 hours
Light meters play a vital role in ensuring that you get the best images during a shoot. What this device does is regulating the amount of light that will be on a subject when shooting pictures. The market has a wide range of light meters which makes it an uphill task to select the best light meter. This was the motivation of this article and with the list above, you are sure to get your right device. A buyers’ guide was also provided earlier in the article to help you understand the different aspects to consider when buying.